Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Quilt Blocks Go Wild

Hey all ya'all. I gotta do a little bit of shameless self-promotion. See this?

 

Shazam! It's the block I redesigned for the book Quilt Blocks Go Wild just published by Leisure Arts.


It's my version of Rail Fence. You know my Dr. Seuss Christmas Quilt? Well this is the way to make it. The easy way I figured out how to do years later...

I've got a mixed opinion of the book. Of course there is my block--which is fabulous-- and made UnRulily. That is, no marking or real fussing - although you do have to pay attention. I love that we were allowed to use photos to illustrate the steps, so I think it's pretty clear. (If not, give me a holler.) I love Malka Dubrowsky's Drunkard's Path redo. I love that the book shows you alternate methods for working.

But. But there are some methods in the book that do not appeal to me in the least. Freezer paper and templates. So this book isn't about Liberation. It's about how to step outside the traditional zone in baby steps. And of course not everyone loves Liberation and UnRuly so hopefully they'll find a way to play that they do like.

The book will be available on Amazon (Quilt Blocks Go Wild) and at JoAnn's stores. Possibly other places as well.

While I've got you all here, can I make a request for blocks? I know I don't deserve them since I still have several UFOs-worth of wonderful gifties from readers. I do, I know. If you don't worry about it eventually becoming a quilt and just think of it as a gift to Lazy Gal, who looks at it and feels loved... I'd appreciate it. Not that I'm trying to guilt you into anything ;-)

I'd like to make a love quilt for Pokey. I still miss her so much.


I have a quilt in mind. I know what the components are, but not how the quilt will look. I'd love to receive Pokey-colored blocks. White, cream, all those lovely shades of brown and dark brown/black accents. I called her my cappuccino girl - coffee with cream. And of course turquoise/cyan for her beautiful eyes and pink/red for her nose and paw pads (and love).

And the type of block? It's a love quilt. UnRuly L-O-V-E letters and UnRuly XOXOXOXO hugs and kisses. And wonky hearts.  Individual letters, or joined together. Just one or several. Nothing too big please unless you're piecing the letter fabric. Any questions, just ask.

Summary: UnRuly Letters (as found in Word Play Quilts)  E, L, O, V, and X and wonky hearts in white, cream, and all sorts of brown with hints of turquoise, red, pink, and black. (not that you have to have all those colors in one block). The goal is to have a quilt for the next book (yes, I'm finally working on one) so it's gotta be UnRuly.

If you make some letters/hearts and they don't come out well? Don't throw them away. Send them anyway. The UnRuly Orphanage takes in all sorts of strays.

To be even more obnoxious: as always, I'd love any spare orphan UnRuly letters you'd care to send. And teensy bits of ugly ugly fabric in light colors. I've got way too many dark fabrics in my stash...

I hate sunless, overcast days. This blog post makes me sound so sad and dreary and that's really not the case. I'm enjoying the Olympics and sewing. Yes, I'm sewing again and book plotting. woohoo! And enjoying the company of the cats. Even the little stinkers, Annabelle (or should it be Annabowl?):


and Cooper:


They both love the dishwasher, why I don't know. Shiny cave to explore, oh boy! These are older photos, amazing how much they grow in just a couple of weeks.

Later, gators!

27 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Wow. That is a stunning combo on your featured quilt block! It's hard to believe you can do that without lots of measuring. I am in awe.

I thought of you yesterday when I was at my friend's house formatting the covers of 2 of my upcoming books, and one of his cats went nuts playing with my braided hair. Funny.
(Yeah, the hair is still THAT long.)

Lisa Shafer said...

PS. So glad to find your boards on Pinterest, too. I'm following you now. :)

Clare said...

I think I've got just the fabric somewhere. A batik coffee cup, latte coloured. Woot for the next book.

I was doing the washing up this evening and for the first time ever Pepette sat on the side of the sink and watched me, occasionally putting out a paw. It's taken a long time, but she's finally getting there.

Kim said...

Oh boy it sure is good to see a great block that you have created, I knew it was yours as soon as it popped up on my sidebar :0)....congrats on the book collaboration too. Oh I'll be happy to send you some blocks......and I just received some great browns from Cherrywood.

Good luck on the book and
Happy sewing!

SubeeSews said...

My newest cat, MaggieMae, who is now three! geezzz.time flies, anyway, when she was very small she was dishwasher crazy too. None of the other cats have ever been interested. But she is also a shower loving cat. She waits patiently for the human to emerge so she can inspect the bathtub.
XOXOXO Subee

cauchy09 said...

hooray for your wild block! i love your colors. and best of luck with the new book!

nice to see you back here. :o)

joe tulips said...

My love package to you just got bigger! Maybe I should concentrate on that for a bit here....so I can get it to you in a timely manner!

AnnieO said...

Love love the wild block colors!! how big is this block? Those pieces could be miniature...but sooo jazzy with those colors.

Beautiful Pokey love in a quilt--sounds terrific! Glad you're sewing and book plotting again.

The two little stinkers make me smile. My cat loves the dishwasher too, no clue why!

Sharon said...

Sounds like you have lots going on, What timeline are you looking at for the Love blocks? Please send me your address.

Nifty Quilts said...

Congratulations on getting your block in the book! It's a good one. Send your address, and I'll put something together for you.

Em said...

I am so there!!!!!! Congrats on the block.

Rachaeldaisy said...

I'm excited about making you a block of lovely love to honour sweet Pokey. Those kittens are just soooooo cute!!! I knew you'd be enjoying the Olympics! It's great to hear your thoughts about the book, your block is really effective!

smazoochie said...

Congratulations on your feature in the one book (love your block) & on the up-coming second book!!!
I would LOVE to make a Pokey Love block! Please may I?

Kristin L said...

All these book opportunities sound great. Should keep you busy and out of trouble for a while! I don;t know if I'll be able to fit in a Pokey block for you, but it definitely sounds like a wonderful quilt in the making and I'll keep it in the back of my mind.

jovaliquilts said...

Just got my copy. It's awesome!

Diane said...

Oh good. I was going to send you some stuff anyway. Now I can put in a Pokey block AND some leftover letters.

Cooper in the DW cracked me up. One in a dishwasher, one in a dish. Kittens!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Cute cute kitties!!!!!

Happy to hear that you are sewing and plotting once again!

Marit said...

Congratulations on being part of the book. Looking forward to see more of your new adventures. Would love to take part in Pokey's quilt. Hope there isn't a tight deadline...
xo

rondiquilts said...

have missed you, glad to see you back and sewing!

Rondi

Lynda said...

The block is fabulous - looks very tricky to me!

Elaine M said...

I love your Rail Fence and the colors you selected. Don't know the block size but I could see this super sized into a "One block and you're done" quilt. I would enjoy making you a couple wonky blocks, send me your address.

DonnaRae said...

Send me you address so I can send you something. Isn't if fun!

daveandlo said...

Congrats on being published again. Cool block, but I'm not sure I see the rail fence. Guess I'll have to buy the book to figure it out.

My dogs love the dishwasher but they are the rinse cycle. It drives my husband crazy. Not that there's much for them to lick off - the dishwasher is really quiet, but it doesn't do much washing. I think of it as the dish sanitizer because I pretty much have to wash the dishes first. Lois

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Tonya. Fun block you created and congrats for being included in the book. Your new project sounds interesting. Do you have a time limit for blocks?
And you say it's overcast--now that would make me happy!
best, nadia

Sujata Shah said...

Tonya,
Your block is stunning! Congratulations on getting it in the book.
I agree with Nadia, overcast always makes me happy too. Helps me stay calm and see my colors better.
I will send you some fabric soon.
:)

Sharon said...

Congrats on being in the new book - I love your block!

And I'm excited to hear you're doing book #2! Whoo hoo!

I would love to send you some Pokey blocks. What kind of time line are you looking at? Send me your new address and I'll see what I can get together for you.

Sherri ~ daintytime said...

Can't beat that title. I imagine those quilts sun bathing topless in Daytona!